Marfan syndrome is one of the more common disorders of connective tissue that can affect the Eyes, Skeleton, Lungs, Heart
and Blood Vessels, and may be life-threatening. The effects of Marfan syndrome varies between individuals, some people
only being mildly affected.
Marfan syndrome is a hereditary disorder in 75% of cases whilst being spontaneous in the other 25%. This means
that if a parent has Marfan syndrome, there is a 50/50 chance of each child not inheriting the Marfan gene. The
Marfan gene was discovered in 1990 and in 1991 a deficiency was found in the glycoprotein, fibrillin. This initiated
many research projects and diagnosis has improved because of the results achieved.
Through the work undertaken by the Marfan Association UK, in conjunction with a large number of
medical professionals over many years, much has been learned about Marfan syndrome. Greatly improved
medical management and surgical techniques are now available which are improving the lives of Marfan patients around the world.
Regular monitoring and a sensible life-style are essential.